September 18, my mom, my girls and I headed up to Logan to visit my sister Marian, and to run in a race. This was the weekend we were SUPPOSE to run a marathon. We ran the 5k instead. I mentioned that I was working on this back in June. I did really well training till I went on vacation and then it went down hill from there.





Let me back up. Back in, I want to say, January, Marian, my sister, decided she really wanted to run a marathon and got all excited and started doing a lot of talking to the family to see who she could get to do it with her. At first pretty much all of us thought she was CRAZY ( okay we already knew this but it was confirmed!j/k!) and we really weren't very much support for her. Then some of us got thinking and myself, Mom, brother- Jed and maybe sister- Ali all for a while at least told her we would do it and started to get ready to train for it. Then life happened and we fizzled out one by one, even Marian who had by this time paid the entry fee. We are slackers.
Luckily for us though the race, The Top of Utah Marathon, we were going to run had a 5k race at the same time, and it is 20+ miles less to train for or even just run a 5k. So feeling guilty about being a slacker and wanting to support my sister and visit her my mom and I decided to go run this with her.
Well once we got to Logan, Marian decided to finally tell Mom and me that she couldn't run the race with us because she hadn't had the money to register when we did and then when she did get the money the race was closed. So my mom and I got up on September 19, and ran the 5k while Marian, and her boyfriend, Wayne, watched my girls at the park while waiting for us to finish the run.
It was quite fun. I had three goals 1- to have a better time than my last 5k, 2- to run the whole thing, and 3- to beat my mom! ( As a side note, we did a 5k in June together and ran pretty much side by side the whole time and then MY MOM crossed the finish line right in front of me. My Mom beat me and she is like twice my age- okay not quite but still. That wasn't good for my ego.) And I accomplished them all! I wasn't sure I would beat my mom because she got out in front of me and I had to catch up but my slow and steady pace proved itself!
So her are some pictures of the fun! It was a great little get away and super fantastic to visit Marian, Wayne and Edgar- their dog!

pre race

On our way.
Almost to the end.

Wahoo! The Finish line!


Playing at the park after we finished.
After being around the marathon environment a little bit, I really want to do one now. I am going to work on a half first and go from there!


Comments