She passed away before my mom was out of high school. I don't know much about her but I have been thinking about her a lot today and know she has been close by watching over her family.
In fact I am giving her credit for me not getting a speeding ticket today. The trooper just reminded me to "slow down." Something I think is applicable in many areas of my life right now. So as I slow down today I am writing some things I have been told about her and the influence she has left.
Her name was Noreen Marie. I don't think I have heard anyone else with that name.
She died at age 49 after loosing her battle to ovarian cancer and because of this I have been taught how important it is to get that yearly check up.
She was a young war bride and not even finished with high school. She was married at 16 and a widow at age 44.
She was a good cook and baker. It's her roll recipe that I make that lots of people like.
She had six kids, all c-sections, 2 boys and 4 girls. She never got to raise her boys, they were her oldest and youngest and both were stillborn. It's because of her experiences that our family usually waits till the baby is here to have a shower for it. She knew too well how difficult it was to be ready one and then not get to bring it home. When she lost her last baby, I have heard she had a hard time with it but when she was loosing her battle to cancer years later, she saw how things had worked out because she didn't know how or who would have cared for him had he been alive.
She worked as a secretary for a Dr. Taylor in Salt Lake and eventually became a nurse. (What would probably now be a medical assistant or certified nurses aide. I am guessing. ) It's because she worked for Dr. Taylor, and he was a doctor to some of the general authorities; that when my mom and aunt had their double wedding, he pulled some strings and had Thomas S. Monson perform their marriages for them. Which was a very nice thing for him to do.
She sewed, making dresses and clothes for my aunts and even made some blankets I think. My dad knew her. He started dating my aunt and then decided he was more interested in my mom but had to wait for her to grow up. So he became friends with my grandma so he could stop by and visit.
Her dad died on Christmas Eve, and because of that her husband always tried to make Christmas big, and special and magical, to make up for it.
In the years she was a widow I have heard she sometimes cursed my grandpa for leaving her with the farm and the girls.
When she knew she wasn't going to make it. She ask Roberta, and Evelyn and their dad, Bert, to watch out for and take care of my mom, Lisa. I don't know if she knew she was giving them and us the best replacement for her and my grandpa that we could have ask for.
Today I am grateful for her example and influence that has reached through generations, 54 years past her earthly existence to me and the chance to slow down and remember her.
Happy Birthday Grandma Noreen! Love you.
Comments