Skip to main content

Labor Day weekend

Early Saturday morning I took Glen and Larry to the airport to catch their flight to Phoenix. 
Glen went to an away game for BYU a few years ago and had thought it would be something his dad would like. They made it happen this year for the season opener against Arizona State. 
They headed to Paige and John's to help pack the trucks after getting their rental car. 
I think it would be cool to visit Glen's Nielson cousins at their houses since they have all been nice and visited us. It hasn't worked out so well thus far. At least Glen got to visit Paige and John at their house in Arizona even if I didn't. 
Larry and Glen had a great time. They ate great food at Biscuits and Don Ponchos. The game was fun and BYU won! 
Larry came home and started looking at the schedule for next year, he loved it so much. 

Meanwhile back at the ranch, the kids and I were taking care of the Cranes and holding the fort down. My parents were out of town again, so bathing Roberta gets turned over to me. 
Saturday night my best friend from high school, who I haven't seen in at least ten years got married. I took Beth and went to her shindig. I missed the ceremony by a few minutes but stayed  the rest of the evening visiting. 
It is crazy how life has kept us busy and even though we are only an hour away from each other it might as well be across the country. 
It was so so good to see Steph again. Everything was so fitting and perfect for her. Her husband seems to be a great guy and she gets to be an instant mom to two cute kids! I am so happy for her. Her family is such a fun good family, even though it is just her parents and her.i need to visit them again soon. 
Janene was nice enough to watch the other kids because I wasn't sure if everyone was invited to the wedding and given the option they wanted to hang out with grandma. I really should have just taken everyone to the wedding and barbecue. Oh well live and learn I guess. 

Sunday was an adventure. The kids and I made it to church not quite on time like normal. The kids put me to the test flying solo in sacrament meeting. Glen's presence was greatly missed. Not too long after church we left for the airport to pick up Glen and Grandpa Richins. They had had a great time but we're happy to be someplace cooler. 
From the airport we went straight to my sister-in-law's parents house to pick up their six kids to watch for the next day or so. 
With that many we had to keep it pretty low key and minimal so we did dinner at home and then cleaned up and started the bed time routine. 
Monday was full of basics because with so many kids, getting  them food, to sleep and to clean up takes up most of the time. In the late afternoon we did finally make it to Herriman to swim/freeze in Karen's pool for the last time. That was an adventure and very cold. We got warmed and cleaned up from swimming and it was time to get kids to their respective homes and to bed. 
It was not the Labor Day we had pictured but it was good and a good learning experience. And I don't think we'll have eleven children. 
It probably wasn't the nicest thing to do to Glen: pick him up from a trip and throw him in to eleven kids at home. To be honest I wasn't thrilled about it either. My brother and his wife found out less than two weeks before about a friend's wedding in Texas and decided to make it to it. There are all sorts of things I didn't like about this situation but the bottom line is I told them I would help them. I did but I didn't do it with a happy heart or good spirit. It's not that the kids are bad. They are really good and my kids get along with them really well. I do have to say boys are so much different than girls. My brother has one girl and five boys. Things went great. I think it is the sheer number of children of our combined families (eleven kids twelve and under with two under one.) and the lack of notice and communication that got me the most. 
So I have decided from this experience that I need to a) plan better, and give people better notice when I might need help, b) have a good attitude about what I agree to do and if I don't then I shouldn't do it, and c) communicate my expectations and plans to people better. Sorry for the rant.
 This is how Glen felt about it all. 
Ridge and Beth. Beth is two months and a week older and has him on mobility and amount of teeth but he definitely has her on size, hair and about everything else. 

Comments

HW said…
Not many people are brave enough to even say yes grudgingly to 11 kids for any amount of time. I think you're an amazing saint. I can just imagine Larry getting the schedule for next year. His enthusiasm is contagious. And I say YES to visiting us--whenever you can!
Paige said…
I'm sort of thrilled to see myself on your blog. Reading about your family life is one of the things that makes me think life is still good and people are still doing the right things. I'm so glad you like raising kids.

Popular posts from this blog

California here we come

July 15-19  Early Monday morning we went to the Provo airport to head to John Wayne airport then down to San Diego to celebrate Larry and Janene's 50th wedding anniversary. We met up with everyone but Josh and his girlfriend, Amberlee in Provo. They left earlier and drove so they could visit her family as well. My dad is a bit John Wayne fan so we had to take a picture with The Duke at his airport for him.  Once we had our luggage, rental van and food in our bellies we had to get sand between our toes and salt water at least on our feet. We ate at a fun little place in San Clemente called Cafe Rae. It was really little. Our group of nine took up about half their seats. It was really good food and they had great hospitality.  Our next stop was the USS Midway in San Diego. Larry had talked about visiting this and the Saint Mary for a long time. It was one of the main reasons we went to San Diego. It was nice to make it happen. I am not really in to military stuff but it was...

My cup with blessings overflows

 I am trying to get back in the habit of blogging. Before I go to bed, even though I should be in bed here are blessings from this week. I don’t know it I will remember them all there were so many.  Being home to attend church with our ward.  Talks from two sister in our ward, Louisa Jones who is a brand new young woman and Holly Draney who is the Primary President, on Sister Kristin Yee’s conference talk, that complimented each other well.  They reminded me that God is in the details and even when mistakes are made he can use it to help us learn and bless us. Louisa talked about how she was mad when her parents decided they should move a few years ago but Heavely Father has made it work out. Holly brought up the definitions of the words possibility and joy. She also talked about repairing quilts that had things happen to them. Also a talk from Matt Reeves about the power of the priesthood and how it has blessed his life and has preserved his life.  A great less...

Conversations with Lucy

Lucy-" Mom, Do you know what you can't do?" Mom-"No, what?" Lucy-" You can't put root beer in the microwave. You can't put it in the microwave or else it will explode." Mom- " Is that right?" Lucy- " Yeah, and do you know what else you can't do, you can't put candy in the microwave or else it will explode too. Yeah!"