Lucy got to participate in the school STEM fair. She had some ideas for her project having to do with sling shotting fruit, measuring the distance it traveled and what not. I didn't jump on board with that idea because I thought there would be too many variables.
This made it so we procrastinated the project a little bit.
For her birthday Lucy got the material and pattern to make a quilt for her new bed, (the one she doesn't have yet. oops.) She had been sewing and sewing for months and was so close to being done with the quilt top. I read through the project directions for the fair a few times more and mentioned to her that I thought we could turn a sewing project in to a math or engineering project for her. We started an engineering project for a crayon bag she wants to make but after spending a day or two on that we decided we didn't have enough time to finish it properly and jumped to the quilt project.
It helped her get the top done a little quicker than she would have.

She did end up winning the math section for all of fourth grade and got a $25 certificate for a Utah educational savings plan. She was not that impressed because second and third places got candy bars which seemed much yummier. I told her she would appreciate this down the road.



Comments