Skip to main content

A new school year

We made it through summer. It was lots of fun and lots of work. It is good to get back to school. Students came back to the high school on tuesday the 21st. Glen didn’t want a first day of school picture, since he is there year round, except when he takes vacation days. This is his third year at Riverton High as an assistant principal. He still likes it and the people he works with, so that is great.

Tuesday, Lilly, Lucy, and Daryl started school, and Ruth started her six days of tourture.
Lilly started 9th grade at Oquirrh Hills middle. She has AP human geography, Honors Biology,
Honors Math 10,  honors English, seminary, stage crew, child development, and art foundations.
We decided that’s chinese3 wasn’t needed because colleges want to see two years of a language on transcripts and she wants to take ASL when she is actually at the high school.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I typed that bit about a month ago with good intentions of getting a few pictures in and posting. Life kind of got in the way.
 I tend to use things for as long as I possibly can before I have to spend money on me and things I use (clothes, shoes mostly) but my phone is/was a good example of that. I had typed that bit on it and was trying to get pictures in place from it but it was too much for the poor old thing. It didn't have enough space and I had to juggle apps around to get pictures and to get pictures on to storage. It was all a mess that I didn't want to deal with and put off.
Now I have an even bigger mess because we were on vacation last week and I jumped in the lake to help anchor the house boat and realized my phone was in my very wet pocket. A week in a rice bag has not revived it. Darn.  Choices are fun, aren't they?


enough of me.

Life is going full tilt. School is in full swing. The kids are doing good things and are good people. I need to remember to tell them that more often.

Lilly is doing well as a ninth grader. She loves music, especially musical music Glen loves that she has the AP class he use to teach. She is swimming and just got cast as ancestor in The Addams Family Jr. at The Midvale Main Street theater. She has been riding her bike to school off and on. She might try out for the high school swim team in a couple weeks and is going to do stage tech stuff for the Riverton Arts Council play that is about to run. She has stopped taking Irish dance and is trying to find another studio where she can learn something more applicable to theater, and she also wants to take voice lessons. I remind her sleep is good too.

Lucy is enjoying 6th grade. She tried out for the junior high volleyball team that is run by the high school coaches and team. She made one of the teams and gets to practice twice a week with double header games one night a week. She loves it and is learning a lot. She helped throw a surprise party for one of her friends and made a super awesome unicorn cake. After it the friends mom texted me telling me how Lucy had made the whole thing happen while the other girls dreamed about it. It was fun to hear that.

Daryl just turned 8 and is liking second grade, except for homework. Still working on that. He asks lots of questions all of the time about all sorts of things. He has a great imagination that comes up with all sorts of crazy amazing things he wants to build or invent. He is learning hard shoe this year in Irish dance and improving his soft shoe.  He is loud and enjoys just making noise but also likes to sing to himself and sometimes just bursts in to song. He is a fun kid to have around.

Ruth LOVES kindergarten. She often asks why it can't be all day. She likes her teacher and has some good neighbor friends in her class and has made some friends too. She has started Irish dance and loves it. She is so excited she gets to do something Daryl is doing. I have found out that school makes her hungry and tired so she needs food and a break not too long after it to prevent her turning in to a puddle of Ruth. She would like to be the oldest or an only child a lot of the time. She is getting better at her writing, reading and math all the time. When Daryl was complaining about homework the other day she ask if she could do it.  She's a bit competitive. She is sweet and soft hearted and still loves to play with hair, mostly mine.

Beth is almost three. I think that sums her up. We found out she is willing to sit on potty's not at our house if her potty seat is on it. That was a good break through but potty training is still a work in progress. She can do extremes pretty well. Sometimes she is very nice, cuddly and kissy and then a switch turns and she is pinching, hitting and kicking, and doesn't want to be nice. Her hair has grown out so it has some curl now. She still loves water and loves wearing her swimming suit just in case we end up at a pool. We tried her in Ruth's dance class for like 30 minutes but she's not quite there. We might try some other class though. Now everyone else is in school she is wondering when she goes.

Glen is busy with helping the high school run and wishes kids would not make so many stupid choices sometimes. His "hypothetical situations" are very entertaining some days, because he can't come home and talk about work. wink wink. It's good he has good adults he works with and every now and then gets to be around the good kids. He is teaching the 9 year old primary class at church and enjoys that. He is biking to work more. On days he doesn't have to cover an event somewhere that is his preferred method of travel. He's good at chipping away at our house projects and getting us outside. He just had a birthday and didn't want much fuss made. He ordered something online he has wanted for awhile for a present and ask for HaagenDazs ice cream for his birthday treat. He's really good to have around.

I am here. Wearing worn out shoes and shorts with no phone for now. With probably too many commitments and things I am involved in besides trying to run a house and family. It's a fun juggling act that is very often not so graceful but rather funny. I had several inches off hair cut off and still don't know if it was a good idea but now it will have to grow back. I go to Evelyn and Roberta's as much as I can, and try to work on the quilting business some too, besides being Cub committee chair and on a couple PTA boards and school community councils. Some how it all ebbs and flows and works out.

Comments

Paige said…
I'm a little breathless learning about all your positive things. What an amazing array of good stuff going on.
HW said…
You are amazing. I love hearing how you live your life. And about each of your very good kids. It's so hard to believe Darryl is already 8! They really do make a change in their reasoning ability and maturity around 7 or 8. It's a really good age. And I SO RELATE to the puddles of kids on the floor if they don't get a snack! I admire how much good you do. And good luck with the broken stuff and the decisions. I'm there with you too!

Popular posts from this blog

California here we come

July 15-19  Early Monday morning we went to the Provo airport to head to John Wayne airport then down to San Diego to celebrate Larry and Janene's 50th wedding anniversary. We met up with everyone but Josh and his girlfriend, Amberlee in Provo. They left earlier and drove so they could visit her family as well. My dad is a bit John Wayne fan so we had to take a picture with The Duke at his airport for him.  Once we had our luggage, rental van and food in our bellies we had to get sand between our toes and salt water at least on our feet. We ate at a fun little place in San Clemente called Cafe Rae. It was really little. Our group of nine took up about half their seats. It was really good food and they had great hospitality.  Our next stop was the USS Midway in San Diego. Larry had talked about visiting this and the Saint Mary for a long time. It was one of the main reasons we went to San Diego. It was nice to make it happen. I am not really in to military stuff but it was...

My cup with blessings overflows

 I am trying to get back in the habit of blogging. Before I go to bed, even though I should be in bed here are blessings from this week. I don’t know it I will remember them all there were so many.  Being home to attend church with our ward.  Talks from two sister in our ward, Louisa Jones who is a brand new young woman and Holly Draney who is the Primary President, on Sister Kristin Yee’s conference talk, that complimented each other well.  They reminded me that God is in the details and even when mistakes are made he can use it to help us learn and bless us. Louisa talked about how she was mad when her parents decided they should move a few years ago but Heavely Father has made it work out. Holly brought up the definitions of the words possibility and joy. She also talked about repairing quilts that had things happen to them. Also a talk from Matt Reeves about the power of the priesthood and how it has blessed his life and has preserved his life.  A great less...

Conversations with Lucy

Lucy-" Mom, Do you know what you can't do?" Mom-"No, what?" Lucy-" You can't put root beer in the microwave. You can't put it in the microwave or else it will explode." Mom- " Is that right?" Lucy- " Yeah, and do you know what else you can't do, you can't put candy in the microwave or else it will explode too. Yeah!"