Skip to main content

Getting better and under our belt

This week we were mostly sick and ended up sharing with Evelyn. Darn. Daryl and Ruth had the flu and stayed home from school Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  Monday and Tuesday they were not feeling great so they just wanted to rest mostly. Wednesday they were feeling better but still had low grade fevers for part of the day so they stayed home still but really wished they were at school, especially Ruth. She loves school and all it offers.  I was wishing they were back at school too but we managed. It made me really appreciate their general good health and the fact that we seldom have occasions like this were they are sick at home for several days.
My mom was still out of town Monday and Evelyn hadn’t had a bath in over a week and hadn’t changed out of her pajama top in that long as well.  I ventured to work with the sick kids and eventually convinced Evelyn a bath really was needed and would feel good. I think we got it done in record time too because her nurse, Arla, was coming to check on her. It was good to get done but exposed her to our germs which caught up with her on Thursday.
Mom and Dad had truck problems, luckily, before they started back home from Bryce Canyon. They ended up getting back Tuesday evening.
Wednesday was parent teacher conferences for Lilly. I am on the committee to help feed the teachers dinner.  The menu was soups, salad, rolls and dessert. I made the rolls and broccoli cheese soup. The seminary teachers come over and eat with the school teachers and one of them came up afterwards needing to know where the rolls were from because he had to have the recipe. That was a funny exchange.
Lilly is doing pretty well in her classes. She just needs to get her late assignments in.
Lucy also had parent teacher conference. All her teachers love her and wish they had a room full of students like her, because it would make their job easier.
Thursday Daryl had his 9 year old well child check up. He’s doing great, just needs to be more active.
Lucy also had an oral surgery consultation about getting some gum tissue removed so her orthodontist can put a new bracket on her tooth and move it in to place. The oral surgeon was willing to do it then but Lucy wanted to wait so in March it will happen.
Our friends went out of town on Thursday and we signed up to have a couple of their kids stay with us. Cora is Lucy’s friend and Carter is Daryl’s.  Carter had a soccer tournament in St.George so we don’t have him the whole time.
Friday, Lucy and Cora had school off because of PTC. I recruited them to help with Valentine’s class parties for Daryl and Ruth because they over lapped by a half an hour. They were troopers and ran bingo for Ruth’s class. They also helped us pack to go to Logan for Lucy’s volleyball tournament.
After school was over for Daryl and Ruth we dropped ice  cream off  at the high school for a Valentine’s treat for Glen and Lilly, and headed to Logan.
Lucy played 3 games Friday and won two of them and then three more Saturday morning to finish out pool play. They were 1-2 to end up 3-3 and fourth seed in the bracket play. That put them playing the number one seed. They played hard and kept up with them for awhile but lost both sets 15-25.
It was a good learning experience and fun adventure to have.
We got home Saturday afternoon and got things cleaned up surprisingly well and I even vacuumed out my suburban!
I was signed up to stay with Evelyn Saturday night but my mom stayed because I had been in Logan and Evelyn has had a rough night the night before.
It was nice to be home and able to go to church with my family, though I forgot what time it started. (I usually stay Saturday nights with Evelyn. Depending on how the night goes and how she is doing in the morning I don’t always make it to church. It’s nice quite time to chat with her or rest or watch how she and whatever kid I have let stay the night with me interact. It’s moments and time I don’t want to miss out on with her.)
Cora ended up not feeling well at church so I took her home early and then didn’t go to dinner at my brother Jed’s house so she wouldn’t be lonely. It was a really quiet different Sunday.

Here are some pictures from the week.

 
When I got to work Monday to give Evelyn her bath she was still in bed and seemed like she was staying there awhile, maybe even the day. I put my hand on her forehead to see if she felt like she had a fever. My hands were cold from being outside and she thought they felt great and were better than any medics I could have offered her. She held them up by her face till they got too warm to not be any good.
 This is a sign I am going to make with my Cricut crafting machine. I saw a sign with the saying on it at Festival of trees and fell in love with it.
 I was wrong Lucy added more dots to her picture and it wasn’t till I saw it by the pictures of Gunner that I realize it was of him. Sometimes I am not the fastest.

Lunch with Evelyn and Beth. I actually took the picture because of the table cloth. Marian has gotten out a red fabric table cloth for Evelyn’s table for Valentine’s Day. When she can out and saw it she wanted it off right away; it was “horrible.” We couldn’t find a table cloth that would appease her in her regular stash. Marian has to get groceries so went to see if the grocery store would have an acceptable table cloth. Meanwhile I started digging Draper in to the closet with the table cloths and found this one. I didn’t think it would have much of a chance since it wasn’t vinyl but it was green (Evelyn’s favorite color) so if anything did it would. Evelyn thought it was great. Marian and I had a funny text exchange about it because green always wins, even if it is a fabric, basically a big terry towel, green wins with Evelyn.
 
Lucy’s team after the tournament.

Daryl’s perspective of the tournament, so long and boring and pointless, might as well take a nap. 
 
Enjoying Aggie ice cream after making it through our first out of town two day tournament.

Comments

Paige said…
Vacuuming a car should be big enough news that everyone mentions it. I always feel so much better after doing that. In fact, the weather is wonderful today, so maybe I'll put that into my life. I love the painting of Gunner and the photo right after. She did great work there. Spending time with Evelyn and letting your kids do the same isn't just a gift to them; it's a gift for me to observe from far away.
kirsta said…
Lucy's picture of Gunner is so great!! What a talented young lady.

So much of life going on! I thought the sign was just perfect. So so true. You'll have to post a picture of it when you get it made.

I love it that you included Daryl's perspective of the tournament. What a great mother you are.
HW said…
Ah! I didn't read far enough. I figured out the letters for the sign now. ;). I love the picture of Gunner. And also, the one of Evelyn holding your hand. I like knowing that you miss church to hang out with her sometimes. It seems like a worthy excuse. And also, YES to Aggie ice cream!!!

Popular posts from this blog

California here we come

July 15-19  Early Monday morning we went to the Provo airport to head to John Wayne airport then down to San Diego to celebrate Larry and Janene's 50th wedding anniversary. We met up with everyone but Josh and his girlfriend, Amberlee in Provo. They left earlier and drove so they could visit her family as well. My dad is a bit John Wayne fan so we had to take a picture with The Duke at his airport for him.  Once we had our luggage, rental van and food in our bellies we had to get sand between our toes and salt water at least on our feet. We ate at a fun little place in San Clemente called Cafe Rae. It was really little. Our group of nine took up about half their seats. It was really good food and they had great hospitality.  Our next stop was the USS Midway in San Diego. Larry had talked about visiting this and the Saint Mary for a long time. It was one of the main reasons we went to San Diego. It was nice to make it happen. I am not really in to military stuff but it was...

My cup with blessings overflows

 I am trying to get back in the habit of blogging. Before I go to bed, even though I should be in bed here are blessings from this week. I don’t know it I will remember them all there were so many.  Being home to attend church with our ward.  Talks from two sister in our ward, Louisa Jones who is a brand new young woman and Holly Draney who is the Primary President, on Sister Kristin Yee’s conference talk, that complimented each other well.  They reminded me that God is in the details and even when mistakes are made he can use it to help us learn and bless us. Louisa talked about how she was mad when her parents decided they should move a few years ago but Heavely Father has made it work out. Holly brought up the definitions of the words possibility and joy. She also talked about repairing quilts that had things happen to them. Also a talk from Matt Reeves about the power of the priesthood and how it has blessed his life and has preserved his life.  A great less...

Conversations with Lucy

Lucy-" Mom, Do you know what you can't do?" Mom-"No, what?" Lucy-" You can't put root beer in the microwave. You can't put it in the microwave or else it will explode." Mom- " Is that right?" Lucy- " Yeah, and do you know what else you can't do, you can't put candy in the microwave or else it will explode too. Yeah!"