Skip to main content

Forget the full moon

Tuesday evening when I was visiting with Larry and Janene, I got a call from Lilly. Let me back up. The day had just been a little weird and off. We usually help Grandma and Grandpa that night but I had stopped by on my way home from Evelyn’s to visit and say we’d do better next week because that day wasn’t working out. They were fine with that. I am so thankful they are flexible. I was chatting with them about how things were going when I got the call from Lilly. 
It was something like this-
Lilly- Mom, I just got home and Nugget(her goat) was back in the hexagon and I went to check on her and SHE JUST HAD BABIES. MOM, NIGGET JUST HAD BABIES! WHAT DO I DO? 
Me-Oh, okay. That’s cool. Is the sack off their nose and mouth? Can they breathe? 
Lilly- Yeah, they can breathe. Do I need to get towels for them or do anything? 
Me- If Nugget is cleaning them off and they are breathing, they should be fine. I’ll head home. 
Lilly- Okay,  it’s so cool! Nugget just had her babies!
Me- That is cool! I’ll hurry home. Love you. Bye. 


All this excitement made for a late dinner and getting children to bed. I had mixed up bread that morning and was suppose to bake it but didn’t get to that. I was taking care of it by putting it in the patio where it is cooler so I could bake it the next morning.  While I was doing that I heard noises from the goats that weren’t regular goat noises. 
I was going to check on the babies one more time before going to bed and decided to check on the other two goats as well. They hadn’t come to eat dinner like normal when we fed them that night.  
Sure enough when I looked in Chip (the brown and white one) was having contractions and about to deliver the first of her babies. I called the house phone and Lucy answered. I ask her to bring some towels out because more babies were coming. She was shocked, but did as she was asked. She also went and got Glen out of bed and brought Lilly with her. 
Chip delivered her other baby and  the. I looked over at Winkie the white and black goat and she was having big contractions about to deliver too.  It was a bit crazy. The space they were in was not well suited for all that to happen. Winkie had her first baby and then her labor stalled a bit.it was 5-10 minutes later when she had her last baby who was breech. 
We helped rub the babies to dry them off because it was a cold night and made sure their airways were clear. We also decided to throw together another shelter so each doe would have a place of her own to be with her babies.
  It was a crazy night. In the span of 20 minutes we had four baby goats born and in a span of 5 hours  seven born. Nugget had a third baby but it was underdeveloped and stillborn. 

I feel like I have been around animals a bunch but I was not prepared for this. I have never really been around the birthing and babies just all the other parts of animal life. It’s quite the adventure and the babies are so dang cute. 








  








Comments

kirsta said…
Wow!! New baby goats!! And lots of them!!! That is so much fun and crazy and unexpected all at the same time. I loved Lucy's video and how she mentioned the time and everything - 1:30 in the morning on a school night. That is a night your family will remember forever!

Those babies are adorable, but I was surprised at how big they were. Poor poor mama goats to carry multiple babies that size!
Paige said…
There's only one way to take a bad photo of a baby goat, apparently. Make it blurry. You have such adorable kids, now in two species! It's great there are so many pictures to enjoy.

Lots of late night excitement. Wow. I hope a few of the humans got naps the next day.
HW said…
BABY GOATS!!!! This is so exciting! I am so glad you posted the videos! The baby sounds and Lucy and Lily living the dream were wonderful.

Popular posts from this blog

California here we come

July 15-19  Early Monday morning we went to the Provo airport to head to John Wayne airport then down to San Diego to celebrate Larry and Janene's 50th wedding anniversary. We met up with everyone but Josh and his girlfriend, Amberlee in Provo. They left earlier and drove so they could visit her family as well. My dad is a bit John Wayne fan so we had to take a picture with The Duke at his airport for him.  Once we had our luggage, rental van and food in our bellies we had to get sand between our toes and salt water at least on our feet. We ate at a fun little place in San Clemente called Cafe Rae. It was really little. Our group of nine took up about half their seats. It was really good food and they had great hospitality.  Our next stop was the USS Midway in San Diego. Larry had talked about visiting this and the Saint Mary for a long time. It was one of the main reasons we went to San Diego. It was nice to make it happen. I am not really in to military stuff but it was...

My cup with blessings overflows

 I am trying to get back in the habit of blogging. Before I go to bed, even though I should be in bed here are blessings from this week. I don’t know it I will remember them all there were so many.  Being home to attend church with our ward.  Talks from two sister in our ward, Louisa Jones who is a brand new young woman and Holly Draney who is the Primary President, on Sister Kristin Yee’s conference talk, that complimented each other well.  They reminded me that God is in the details and even when mistakes are made he can use it to help us learn and bless us. Louisa talked about how she was mad when her parents decided they should move a few years ago but Heavely Father has made it work out. Holly brought up the definitions of the words possibility and joy. She also talked about repairing quilts that had things happen to them. Also a talk from Matt Reeves about the power of the priesthood and how it has blessed his life and has preserved his life.  A great less...

Conversations with Lucy

Lucy-" Mom, Do you know what you can't do?" Mom-"No, what?" Lucy-" You can't put root beer in the microwave. You can't put it in the microwave or else it will explode." Mom- " Is that right?" Lucy- " Yeah, and do you know what else you can't do, you can't put candy in the microwave or else it will explode too. Yeah!"