Skip to main content

A Hunting We Will Go, A Hunting We Will Go...

high ho, the dairy oh, a hunting we will go!

You may be wondering what hunting season it is, and what do the Richins go hunting for?

Well I have no idea what is in season for hunting and we really aren't hunters at our house, but my husband does like guns. There is just this visitor that keeps coming around at work who isn't welcome, and we happened to be there last night when this visitor came, so out came the gun. Let me introduce you to our visitor





See  full size image
No, this is not one of the many cats that live or at least eat from the Crane's, like Glen thought, because it just walked along grass and through the trees and iris patch like one of the cats. This is probably just one of the skunks that comes to eat the GREAT amount of cat food that Evelyn feeds to supposedly the barn cats and the three or four other cats that are more social. She probably goes through a 20lb. bag of food every week to week and a half. My parents, especially my dad, have tried to get her to feed less and not in the barn and what not, but who likes being told what to do, especially when you are 86.
The only thing that has helped, just a little has been that the skunk has come visiting a few times while she has been in the barn. It wasn't what she wanted to see or meet especially since she is afraid of most animals unless there is a fence between them and her (cats being the exception). Then she will feed and water them, or take care of the front end- as she puts it, until her heart is content and the animals are over weight.
A skunk isn't something we want Evelyn, or any one else for that matter, meeting and having to deal with. We have been waiting for it to come around again when someone younger, and more spry than 86 and 94 were around to get rid of it. Last night was our chance! Glen and I were just about to leave with the girls when it came like I mentioned before. Glen ask were the gun was, and I ask and looked to see where the skunk was to make sure I could run to the barn to get it. We, the skunk and I were headed in opposite directions so off I ran.
You, may be thinking here comes the bloody part of the story. Well lucky for you and the skunk while I was getting the gun, it went in to one of the irrigation pipes. The pipe happen to only have one opening open at the time so it was stuck. And to my knowledge it is still in there now.

Not a very good ending I know. Glen needed to get home so he could go to work so I had my dad come up. With him, Glen and I there we tried to get the skunk out of the pipe, but even with my dad banging on the pipe a whole bunch it didn't budge. Dad decided to just block the one opening and trap it in there to deal with it later. That's were we are at.

This may sound like animal torture but, anyone that wants to turn us in, please let me know the better idea that you have for us to get rid of the skunk. Skunks are tricky because even if you where to catch them in a catch and release trap they could probably still spray you, before you could get to the cage to move it to the new location. Not something I want, and I don't know where you buy tranquilizer medicine unless it is in the lead bullet form. New ideas are welcome as long as they keep me skunk stink free!

Comments

kj said…
Uggh...there's no such things as animal cruelty when it comes to skunks. Is that awful to say? We had a lady in our neighborhood FEEDING the skunks. On purpose. I couldn't believe it. Maybe animal control came and got her or maybe she moved out of our neighborhood because we don't have the skunk problem anymore.

Popular posts from this blog

California here we come

July 15-19  Early Monday morning we went to the Provo airport to head to John Wayne airport then down to San Diego to celebrate Larry and Janene's 50th wedding anniversary. We met up with everyone but Josh and his girlfriend, Amberlee in Provo. They left earlier and drove so they could visit her family as well. My dad is a bit John Wayne fan so we had to take a picture with The Duke at his airport for him.  Once we had our luggage, rental van and food in our bellies we had to get sand between our toes and salt water at least on our feet. We ate at a fun little place in San Clemente called Cafe Rae. It was really little. Our group of nine took up about half their seats. It was really good food and they had great hospitality.  Our next stop was the USS Midway in San Diego. Larry had talked about visiting this and the Saint Mary for a long time. It was one of the main reasons we went to San Diego. It was nice to make it happen. I am not really in to military stuff but it was...

My cup with blessings overflows

 I am trying to get back in the habit of blogging. Before I go to bed, even though I should be in bed here are blessings from this week. I don’t know it I will remember them all there were so many.  Being home to attend church with our ward.  Talks from two sister in our ward, Louisa Jones who is a brand new young woman and Holly Draney who is the Primary President, on Sister Kristin Yee’s conference talk, that complimented each other well.  They reminded me that God is in the details and even when mistakes are made he can use it to help us learn and bless us. Louisa talked about how she was mad when her parents decided they should move a few years ago but Heavely Father has made it work out. Holly brought up the definitions of the words possibility and joy. She also talked about repairing quilts that had things happen to them. Also a talk from Matt Reeves about the power of the priesthood and how it has blessed his life and has preserved his life.  A great less...

Head to the hills- July 7-14

Good things from this week were- Getting dirt to fill the planter box Daryl made for Grandpa Richins. It’s ready for him to use now!  Getting ready for girls camp. Watching Lucy play volleyball in a tournament at UVU with high school team girls. It’s crazy that is her last one as a high school player.  Eating dinner on the roof and watching the sunset. Girls camp, even the one bad part.  Showering after girls camp Sunday dinner at Larry and Janene's and playing with the whip These cool plants were at the nursery we got soil from. I think I might want some in my yard.  Lucy played in a volleyball tournament at UVU with the high school team.  Lucy thought eating on the roof would be a good idea one night so we could watch the sunset better. She was right. Though Ruth but mostly Beth got pretty comfortable exploring up there. My mom safety barometer went quite high till they got down.  The Oquirrh Mountain temple fit right between the trees for a perfect view....