Skip to main content

Ready, Aim ...

Fire. I'm not talking about him firing but him being fired at!

A few days ago one of the at least three know skunks came to eat cat food by the plum tree at work. It was early and my mom happened to be there weeding or something. She saw it and was able to get to the house and find the gun and bullets. She crouched down and opened the back door just a little and WHAM O! She got the skunk!!! She was completely shocked. I think I might nickname her "Sure Shot Sue" !

(Side note, the one that was in the pipe must have escaped because when we opened the ends of the pipe when the water turn came; there was no skunk body that flushed out.)

Well fast forward to tonight. The girls and I came back to see Evelyn and Roberta, after going to the float preview party. This is where they display most of the floats that will be in the Days of '47 parade on the 24th. It's free, inside in air conditioning and pretty neat to be able to examine them up close. The girls got their faces painted so we returned to show off the butterflies.
As luck would have it they weren't there. We stopped any ways because there happened to be four buck deer at the bottom of the veggie garden, by a big pile of dirt. We watched them from a distance, but the girls wanted to get closer so we tried to get closer. In the process of this admiration and closer viewing I noticed what I thought for a split second was a cat walking through the weeds. It only took that long to realize it wasn't and see another one headed back to it's nest. ( Yes, we have figured out where they live now.)
I quickly got the girls to head to the house and decided that if they were out and about they might come looking for cat food. So I pulled out the gun, and got ready. I didn't have to wait long because a little one came over to the never ending food supply with in a few minutes. I took my aim and apparently, had forgotten a few things to do with the gun because it didn't work. After I caulked it and took the safety off I took aim again and fired.
I missed though, but the shot was high enough that the skunk didn't even flinch. I took aim again, fired and ... missed again. I was a lot closer this time though and this shot scared the skunk so it turned put it's tail up and ran off. I think I am happy I missed too, because really what would I do with a dead skunk? Probably call my mom and dad and got them to help, because I really don't want to be around the animal and it's smell. I think the smell in the high concentration it would have been at would have made me sick too. I can envoke the pregnancy clause on this type of thing, right?

A few other things I have gathered from this are- A- I am not very gun savvy, well only enough to get me in trouble; B- being a good aim takes practice and can't just be inherited; C- I should take Glen up on his offer to go shooting because I need the practice and he would really like it; and D- my misses made a drainage system in Evelyn's wheelbarrow that she didn't know she needed so now she won't have to worry about rain water accumulating in!

Comments

Paige said…
Funny. I'm impressed that you a) know where to find a gun b) can get it to fire at all and c) nobody is going to yell at you for doing it. I'm also glad you didn't get the skunk -- leave that to someone else without super-smelling powers.
Kati said…
Oh my gosh, you are so funny!
kj said…
This is a great story. I'm really impressed with your mother! One shot? Can't wait to hear the rest of the saga.

Popular posts from this blog

California here we come

July 15-19  Early Monday morning we went to the Provo airport to head to John Wayne airport then down to San Diego to celebrate Larry and Janene's 50th wedding anniversary. We met up with everyone but Josh and his girlfriend, Amberlee in Provo. They left earlier and drove so they could visit her family as well. My dad is a bit John Wayne fan so we had to take a picture with The Duke at his airport for him.  Once we had our luggage, rental van and food in our bellies we had to get sand between our toes and salt water at least on our feet. We ate at a fun little place in San Clemente called Cafe Rae. It was really little. Our group of nine took up about half their seats. It was really good food and they had great hospitality.  Our next stop was the USS Midway in San Diego. Larry had talked about visiting this and the Saint Mary for a long time. It was one of the main reasons we went to San Diego. It was nice to make it happen. I am not really in to military stuff but it was...

My cup with blessings overflows

 I am trying to get back in the habit of blogging. Before I go to bed, even though I should be in bed here are blessings from this week. I don’t know it I will remember them all there were so many.  Being home to attend church with our ward.  Talks from two sister in our ward, Louisa Jones who is a brand new young woman and Holly Draney who is the Primary President, on Sister Kristin Yee’s conference talk, that complimented each other well.  They reminded me that God is in the details and even when mistakes are made he can use it to help us learn and bless us. Louisa talked about how she was mad when her parents decided they should move a few years ago but Heavely Father has made it work out. Holly brought up the definitions of the words possibility and joy. She also talked about repairing quilts that had things happen to them. Also a talk from Matt Reeves about the power of the priesthood and how it has blessed his life and has preserved his life.  A great less...

Head to the hills- July 7-14

Good things from this week were- Getting dirt to fill the planter box Daryl made for Grandpa Richins. It’s ready for him to use now!  Getting ready for girls camp. Watching Lucy play volleyball in a tournament at UVU with high school team girls. It’s crazy that is her last one as a high school player.  Eating dinner on the roof and watching the sunset. Girls camp, even the one bad part.  Showering after girls camp Sunday dinner at Larry and Janene's and playing with the whip These cool plants were at the nursery we got soil from. I think I might want some in my yard.  Lucy played in a volleyball tournament at UVU with the high school team.  Lucy thought eating on the roof would be a good idea one night so we could watch the sunset better. She was right. Though Ruth but mostly Beth got pretty comfortable exploring up there. My mom safety barometer went quite high till they got down.  The Oquirrh Mountain temple fit right between the trees for a perfect view....