Skip to main content

One of the big ones

As mentioned in the previous post my main man is another year older. Today in fact. In honor of his birthday I had a bunch of ideas of what to do but some I didn't think he would like- like a surprise birthday party. So I have gone with what he said he wanted. So Thursday we went to a play with our friends Keith and Andrea. Last weekend  I made the chocolate cupcakes that he said Daryl told him he wanted! I am making the flag cake and lasagna he requested, buying him ankle socks, not spending to much money on him. and having his guitars restrung so that he can play them.(He didn't ask for the guitars I just wanted to do that as a suprise but it's not really. Here us why- my for all the luck story- the guitars have been under the bed for months now just collecting dust on the cases. I come up with the idea to get a neighbor to restring them as a surprise for him for his birthday. I had already bought new strings months ago I just needed to take the guitars to the neighbor.  I remember to get them out but can't find the strings. I search the house high and low. I just decide to take them over to the neighbor's so I don't forget and try to come up with an inconspicuous way of asking him where the strings are. That very day he mentions that he has these kids that come visit him at the end of work always asking if they can fix something for him. He told them if he ever drove to work he'd bring his guitars and they could restring them. Well we had just come back from getting a new candy stock pile for him so he needed to drive to work the next day. Red flags are going off in my head like crazy now. I tried to keep calm so I asked if the kids had ever restrung a guitar before? He says no they said they would just youtube it. At this point I just blurt out," Well they can't they, the guitars aren't here. They are being taken care of by someone more experienced than those kids. Now speaking of guitars where are those strings that I got you a long time ago?"  He was just staring at me blankly at this point and said," Akward!"  He did look for the strings for me but couldn't find them. I just ended up buying new ones and when we find the lost ones there will be extra)

I also some how got his dad to give up his ticket to the BYU/Utah football game today so that I could  go with him to it. Which is a score for me because  I get two dates in one week! Any way to commemeorate this birthday I thought I would write something I like, admire or just think works well for him for each year of his life.These are in no particular order.
  1. His blue eyes from "the dentist."
  2. The day of his birthday- He loves the Constitution.
  3. parents - They are GREAT!
  4.  patient
  5.  thinks things out.
  6.  likes to read and "read"-audio books.
  7.  served a mission
  8.  loves basketball
  9.  has direction
  10.  honest
  11. lives the scout moto and oath with out ever wanting to  be a scout
  12. gave up the sports car for the family suburban
  13. work ethic
  14. believes in God
  15. has a testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ
  16. honors the Priesthood that he holds
  17. listens
  18. is a good friend
  19. loves his kids
  20. takes the girls on Daddy Daughter Dates
  21. tries new things
  22. loves ice cream
  23. likes my cooking
  24. enjoys a burger and fries as much as anything
  25. loves BYU- but maybe not as much as people think. I may be holding him back from being the fanatic he could be. I
  26. really knows me and still likes me
  27. sacrifices for his family
  28. doesn't like being the center of attention
  29. likes math but loves the social sciences
  30. makes me laugh and will even still laugh at some of my dumb jokes
I think I just scratched the surface. I'll spare you the stories that could go with some of these.

Comments

Kati said…
I'm so glad I'm not the only one that buys things only to loose it and have to re-buy it. Then I get mad at myself thinking of the money I wasted because of my lack of organization.

Oh well, life goes on.
kj said…
Happy Birthday to Glen! You did great things for his birthday. Sorry about the BYU game, though. We watched it here.

I loved the 30 things you love about him. So sweet.
Andy and Brooke said…
Happy B-day to Glen from andy and I. I can't believe your little baby is already a year old. Didn't you and Jill just have these boys? It's amazing how quickly time flies. We miss you guys, and hope you cheer on BYU for us since we don't have tv here. (At least not yet). Although...I heard that they didn't even really show up to the game Saturday.
Paige said…
Next year, #31 should be that Glen has an awesome wife. I loved your list, and your story.
HW said…
Ah! Happy birthday to Glen! He is an absolute good.

Popular posts from this blog

California here we come

July 15-19  Early Monday morning we went to the Provo airport to head to John Wayne airport then down to San Diego to celebrate Larry and Janene's 50th wedding anniversary. We met up with everyone but Josh and his girlfriend, Amberlee in Provo. They left earlier and drove so they could visit her family as well. My dad is a bit John Wayne fan so we had to take a picture with The Duke at his airport for him.  Once we had our luggage, rental van and food in our bellies we had to get sand between our toes and salt water at least on our feet. We ate at a fun little place in San Clemente called Cafe Rae. It was really little. Our group of nine took up about half their seats. It was really good food and they had great hospitality.  Our next stop was the USS Midway in San Diego. Larry had talked about visiting this and the Saint Mary for a long time. It was one of the main reasons we went to San Diego. It was nice to make it happen. I am not really in to military stuff but it was...

My cup with blessings overflows

 I am trying to get back in the habit of blogging. Before I go to bed, even though I should be in bed here are blessings from this week. I don’t know it I will remember them all there were so many.  Being home to attend church with our ward.  Talks from two sister in our ward, Louisa Jones who is a brand new young woman and Holly Draney who is the Primary President, on Sister Kristin Yee’s conference talk, that complimented each other well.  They reminded me that God is in the details and even when mistakes are made he can use it to help us learn and bless us. Louisa talked about how she was mad when her parents decided they should move a few years ago but Heavely Father has made it work out. Holly brought up the definitions of the words possibility and joy. She also talked about repairing quilts that had things happen to them. Also a talk from Matt Reeves about the power of the priesthood and how it has blessed his life and has preserved his life.  A great less...

Head to the hills- July 7-14

Good things from this week were- Getting dirt to fill the planter box Daryl made for Grandpa Richins. It’s ready for him to use now!  Getting ready for girls camp. Watching Lucy play volleyball in a tournament at UVU with high school team girls. It’s crazy that is her last one as a high school player.  Eating dinner on the roof and watching the sunset. Girls camp, even the one bad part.  Showering after girls camp Sunday dinner at Larry and Janene's and playing with the whip These cool plants were at the nursery we got soil from. I think I might want some in my yard.  Lucy played in a volleyball tournament at UVU with the high school team.  Lucy thought eating on the roof would be a good idea one night so we could watch the sunset better. She was right. Though Ruth but mostly Beth got pretty comfortable exploring up there. My mom safety barometer went quite high till they got down.  The Oquirrh Mountain temple fit right between the trees for a perfect view....