Skip to main content

January review


I have a lot of these pictures on my phone. Little Ruth has a tendency to think it is her phone. It is nice when I get a good one and not random things or close ups of fingers. I get lots of finger close ups; any way I digress.

Ugh. Consistency, my achilles heel. January is over just like that.
Here is a catch up on some of what happened during the month.
My brother Jed decided to join the Army National Guard. I will save you the story for now but January 5th, he left for basic training. On the 4th, they had a little show your support to Jed and see him for the last time for 10 weeks get together. Glen had this super idea of a way to show our support. We got a camo shirt for everyone in the family and swim caps for everyone but Glen. I cut letters out of yellow felt. We marched in with swim caps on out heads, except Glen. He shaved his head like Jed had too. Our letters read 'WE heart  JED'. (I know it looks like it says WEED. Bad photo op but the only one we had.) We came up with a kadance to sing for him but decided not to sing it in the end. You can see that Ruth really liked the swim cap look! 
Lilly and Lucy were off track for the first three weeks in January. I had to take Ali, my sister, something and it was most convenient to do so at her work. I planned on just dropping it off and us leaving but she ask if we had eaten. We had not and she had not, so we had lunch together. It was super fun. After lunch Ali held Ruth while the rest of us went on the indoor Ferris wheel. I rode with Daryl and at the top he said," are we going to die?" It was a bit scary being so high and having the seat rock a bit. We all loved it though.
We have been going through some stuff and found the above picture with the big girls when they were little with Roberta. I thought it would be interesting to do a now and then. I am still kind of in shock at the difference a little over eight years has made in all of them. 
Lilly was one of the top two kids in her class for their class geography bee. She got to be in the school geography bee with other 4th -6th graders. She made it to the round right before the championship. Three of the six kids left with her on that round. I was really impressed with all of them. The questions were really tough. You had to know your stuff.She will probably always remember what state the OK corral is in, because that is what she missed. We were so pleased with how well she did.
Glen found a version of Sim City, like what he use to play back in middle school and high school. He downloaded it and showed Lilly how to play it. It was really him reveling in the glory days and playing it with some explaination to Lilly. It was really fun to watch.
Ruth has long enough hair for pigtails. We only try them every once in awhile but it is way cute. She is in love with books and makes Glen think our book shelves have an eating disorder because they are constantly purging themselves on to the floor. Another thing Ruth really loves are 'pretties' or having her finger nails or toenails painted. When they are done she will hold her hands about like they are in the photo but closer to her chin and say 'pretties' and wait for you to complement her on how beautiful they are. I love it!
Since we had lunch with one sister, the other wanted in on the fun too. So the next week we had lunch with my sister Marian. She works at a flower wholesale distribution warehouse. Completely different from lunch the week before but still so much fun. We got to see lots and lots of different flowers  and fillers like palms in all the different fridges and ride on the freight elevator, which made us think of the elevator on Thouroughly Modern Millie, so there was dancing on the rides up and down! We saw the floral designers working on arrangements and the fridge with all of them in it and best of all everyone left with a balloon! 
So since about September, Ruth will potty in the toilet at her convieince. Always it is just peeing. This day the timing happened to work out and she did a little more! Since I am in the changing diapers phase of life I though it worth noting because it was one less I had to take care of. I am still at a loss as to what to do with this whole thing. She is the youngest of my kids to be interested in this and be able and willing to do it. I have thought of trying to full on potty train her but she isn't there yet and the little I have tried has not gone well. I also don't want to have it be a power struggle so I try to let it just be on her terms. This gives me hope that when she is ready it could be very easy though. 
This is Roberta in bed still at 12:20pm and happy about it. I went to DUP with Evelyn and she wasn't ready to get up when we left and had just enjoyed herself while we were gone. This is so different from her younger days but she has earned her right to sleep in in my book.
This letter was to my dad from his oldest brother, Bill. Like it says he sent a late Christmas present with it. It was left out on the counter at my parents and I was snoopy and read it. I loved it  and it made me tear up. I wanted a copy of it so I took a picture; I am sure this is really bad manner, but I will ask for forgiveness on it and keep the picture. He nails my dad's personality and the way he writes reminds me so much or my Grandpa. All of them are such good men. 
It was my mom's birthday on the 19th. Instead of making her dinner like I should have she made dinner for the family like normal and then sent us home with her wonderful hot rolls as well. I am so glad I have gotten have her in my life for all 31 years of it. She only had her mom for 17 years and the though of that just makes me want to cry.
Last on out rounds of lunches was a visit to Glen's classroom. The kids were so excited. They hardly ate and mostly drew in his boards. It made him have to re do a bunch of the stuff he had up for his classes but he was a good sport about it all. Just like he is with everything he deals with having a wild and crazy crew.
This is just a normal thing that happens while we are with  Evelyn and Roberta. Aside from videoing everything we do with them I try to take as many pictures as I can to help me remember these little things when they are gone.
The conversation for this went something like this- Lucy - WHAT are you doing? 
Glen- Mixing up peanut butter... It is part of being a problem solver. You'll appreciate it when you have perfectly mixed peanut butter.
Lucy- You have lost your mind.With my brother gone to basic training and my sister-in-law, Jill flying solo with their five kids we have tried to have family fun Fridays or Saturdays. We take the kids so Jill, can have a break and play or watch a movie or play or have a some of them sleepover. This selfie that Lucy and TaLyn took is one of the only pictures we have of our fun. I guess we have been having too much fun to do anything else.
Lastly I went to that cooking/food education class on the 31st. It was really good. It made me want some different kitchen gadgets that could help cut down cooking times on things. I think I will try to incorporate some of the stuff in to our menus, but it is all "plant based" and Glen has already told me he still wants meat with the yummy veggies. Moderation and balance, right? ...and a happy husband. Those are the important things.

Comments

Hugs, Mom said…
WOw! This is a labor of love. I enjoyed every bit of it!
HW said…
Great update. My favorite pictures were the cousin selfie and the one of your four at the whiteboard. Adorable! And I think you are so good for Evelyn and Roberta. And they for you too. It's good when you can be each others' blessings.
kj said…
Your mother's rolls look AMAZING. I need to learn how to do that!

Daryl pulled on my heart strings when he asked you on the ferris wheel if you all were going to die...Poor guy!

What a great update. Where have I been? I need to check in more!
Paige said…
The perfectly mixed peanut butter. I'd give him a star on his forehead for the problem solving. Your photos are such fun to look at -- and the words to explain. Well, they're perfect. I love reading about your life.
Paige said…
Lily looks so mysterious in a hat -- also smart.

Popular posts from this blog

California here we come

July 15-19  Early Monday morning we went to the Provo airport to head to John Wayne airport then down to San Diego to celebrate Larry and Janene's 50th wedding anniversary. We met up with everyone but Josh and his girlfriend, Amberlee in Provo. They left earlier and drove so they could visit her family as well. My dad is a bit John Wayne fan so we had to take a picture with The Duke at his airport for him.  Once we had our luggage, rental van and food in our bellies we had to get sand between our toes and salt water at least on our feet. We ate at a fun little place in San Clemente called Cafe Rae. It was really little. Our group of nine took up about half their seats. It was really good food and they had great hospitality.  Our next stop was the USS Midway in San Diego. Larry had talked about visiting this and the Saint Mary for a long time. It was one of the main reasons we went to San Diego. It was nice to make it happen. I am not really in to military stuff but it was...

My cup with blessings overflows

 I am trying to get back in the habit of blogging. Before I go to bed, even though I should be in bed here are blessings from this week. I don’t know it I will remember them all there were so many.  Being home to attend church with our ward.  Talks from two sister in our ward, Louisa Jones who is a brand new young woman and Holly Draney who is the Primary President, on Sister Kristin Yee’s conference talk, that complimented each other well.  They reminded me that God is in the details and even when mistakes are made he can use it to help us learn and bless us. Louisa talked about how she was mad when her parents decided they should move a few years ago but Heavely Father has made it work out. Holly brought up the definitions of the words possibility and joy. She also talked about repairing quilts that had things happen to them. Also a talk from Matt Reeves about the power of the priesthood and how it has blessed his life and has preserved his life.  A great less...

Head to the hills- July 7-14

Good things from this week were- Getting dirt to fill the planter box Daryl made for Grandpa Richins. It’s ready for him to use now!  Getting ready for girls camp. Watching Lucy play volleyball in a tournament at UVU with high school team girls. It’s crazy that is her last one as a high school player.  Eating dinner on the roof and watching the sunset. Girls camp, even the one bad part.  Showering after girls camp Sunday dinner at Larry and Janene's and playing with the whip These cool plants were at the nursery we got soil from. I think I might want some in my yard.  Lucy played in a volleyball tournament at UVU with the high school team.  Lucy thought eating on the roof would be a good idea one night so we could watch the sunset better. She was right. Though Ruth but mostly Beth got pretty comfortable exploring up there. My mom safety barometer went quite high till they got down.  The Oquirrh Mountain temple fit right between the trees for a perfect view....