Skip to main content

In to the unknown



We have moved in to August. August is usually pretty routine for us with a new school year starting. This year it feels like we are headed in to the unknown. As things stand now the kids will start school in person with masks and other restrictions on August 24 or 25.  We are kind of getting ready for that but will all the protests and rallies and guidelines changing what seems like every few days things, I am not convinced it will happen. In person is the route all of my kids have chosen for school this year out of the options they had. They want to be in the classroom with people their age and a teacher. 

Since we are trying to be cautiously optimistic we are trying to soak up the last weeks of summer and kind of get ready for school and work and do all the regular life stuff too. 

Here are some random happenings from our week, some of them pictured some not.

Tuesday Larry, Janene, my friend Beth and I went to see Mary Poppins at Hale Center Theater. It was okay but long.I think I just like the Disney movie version a lot. It’s hard to beat Julie Andrews and Dick VanDyke. Lilly came with us but went and saw Bright Star. Her texts to me at intermission were fun!  I didn’t give her much information going on to the show, just that she would like it and maybe cry.  It’s based on the story of the Iron Mountain Baby.


Wednesday night to Thursday we did a cousin sleepover swap with Jed’s kids. The older four stayed at our house and I took them to Walmart and the Sandy and Riverton DI’s to look for school clothes and things. We had fun finding an old middle school gym shirt with the last name of a family we know on it and shoes that were fun but didn’t fit. 
Beth got my phone again and took the above picture of Ellie after swimming one day. It’s pretty fitting. She is a bit of a drama queen. We also did Queen Poppy hair to go swimming to keep the hair out of our eyes. 

The little girls took over Evelyn’s bed putting Elsa and Granny Bear to bed with the white kitty looking out for them. Sometimes it’s fun to find the random things they do. 
We had neighbors leave corn by our back door one day. I ask the kids to bring it in so we could have it with dinner, then completely forgot about it. I remembered  to ask Beth where she had put it at bedtime. She just said, “I don’t know.” This is her code for “I am not telling you because I might have been sneaky.” I found what she had done the next morning when Glen and I were heading out on our walk, pictured below.
 
Just a picture of the dogs Goob and Gunner snoozing by each other in a greater than sign.

This is a low quality picture of the quilt I am currently quilting. It is taking a long time. The flowers I have the computer stitch out but the crosshatching around the Sun Bonnet Sues I do with a ruler. I have had to learn some new things about the computer software I use to make it happen. I also haven’t been putting as much time toward quilting lately even though I need too. Evelyn is going through a decline and has needed more supervision to prevent falls and my mom needs a break. Marian and I have been trying to step up and fill in a little more to make that happen. 

Glen and I were able to sneak in a quick hiking date Saturday night after we dropped of Lilly at her voice lesson.  I sure do like that guy. 

A low quality picture of Glen and the kids visiting with Janae and Topher


We went to Larry and Janene’s for dinner today.  Tracey Portz and her son Jon came with Aunt MaryEllen. They are staying with her while Mark and KaLynn are out of town for the week. It was great to visit with them. I also made rolls for dinner and to stock Larry and Janene up for a little while again. That is the one thing they consistently ask for for birthdays or other occasions. I decided I was going to do better at making them for them this year and have done pretty good so far.  I also started making an extra batch for Janae’s boys when I make them for Larry and Janene. 
When things were closed down with corona in the spring Josh started coming over to lift weights in our garage. He said if we ever had extra rolls we could send them their way. I have made it so there is extra. The kids and Glen deliver them to their doorstep. Beth calls it “ding dong doorbell ditching.” Sometimes they just drop them and run and sometimes they hide and surprise them and visit for a little while.  Tonight was a visiting night and probably the longest porch visit they have had to date.  I am counting that as progress. 



Comments

HW said…
You are a lovely human. Your roll project is sneaky and fun. And you do such good things! Troll hairdos, hikes, DI with dramatic daughters, taking care of your sweet adopted granny--it's a good life you are living.
Paige said…
What a center if fun you've been. The dogs taking nap "in a greater than sign" was cute. I agree the high heels were awesome even if they were too big.

Popular posts from this blog

California here we come

July 15-19  Early Monday morning we went to the Provo airport to head to John Wayne airport then down to San Diego to celebrate Larry and Janene's 50th wedding anniversary. We met up with everyone but Josh and his girlfriend, Amberlee in Provo. They left earlier and drove so they could visit her family as well. My dad is a bit John Wayne fan so we had to take a picture with The Duke at his airport for him.  Once we had our luggage, rental van and food in our bellies we had to get sand between our toes and salt water at least on our feet. We ate at a fun little place in San Clemente called Cafe Rae. It was really little. Our group of nine took up about half their seats. It was really good food and they had great hospitality.  Our next stop was the USS Midway in San Diego. Larry had talked about visiting this and the Saint Mary for a long time. It was one of the main reasons we went to San Diego. It was nice to make it happen. I am not really in to military stuff but it was...

My cup with blessings overflows

 I am trying to get back in the habit of blogging. Before I go to bed, even though I should be in bed here are blessings from this week. I don’t know it I will remember them all there were so many.  Being home to attend church with our ward.  Talks from two sister in our ward, Louisa Jones who is a brand new young woman and Holly Draney who is the Primary President, on Sister Kristin Yee’s conference talk, that complimented each other well.  They reminded me that God is in the details and even when mistakes are made he can use it to help us learn and bless us. Louisa talked about how she was mad when her parents decided they should move a few years ago but Heavely Father has made it work out. Holly brought up the definitions of the words possibility and joy. She also talked about repairing quilts that had things happen to them. Also a talk from Matt Reeves about the power of the priesthood and how it has blessed his life and has preserved his life.  A great less...

Head to the hills- July 7-14

Good things from this week were- Getting dirt to fill the planter box Daryl made for Grandpa Richins. It’s ready for him to use now!  Getting ready for girls camp. Watching Lucy play volleyball in a tournament at UVU with high school team girls. It’s crazy that is her last one as a high school player.  Eating dinner on the roof and watching the sunset. Girls camp, even the one bad part.  Showering after girls camp Sunday dinner at Larry and Janene's and playing with the whip These cool plants were at the nursery we got soil from. I think I might want some in my yard.  Lucy played in a volleyball tournament at UVU with the high school team.  Lucy thought eating on the roof would be a good idea one night so we could watch the sunset better. She was right. Though Ruth but mostly Beth got pretty comfortable exploring up there. My mom safety barometer went quite high till they got down.  The Oquirrh Mountain temple fit right between the trees for a perfect view....