Skip to main content

The rest of October and the best dam trip

Here are things that have happened the last two weeks of October. 

Lucy turned 16 on the 20th. She had her last high school volleyball game of the season that night. She wanted to win for her present but that didn’t happen. :( I did help with the team dinner and made dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls with Grandma Egbert’s help to help celebrate. I also told her teammates it was her birthday; which she had neglected to mention so they sang to her.  She got to play in the JV game that night and ended up sitting on the bench for varsity. The varsity setter rolled her ankle and they didn’t know if she would keep playing. The JV setter got injured in the JV game so she wasn’t an option. It was an exciting turn of events even if she didn’t get to play. 

We went out to lunch as a family on Friday to celebrate and bought pumpkins to paint or carve but only the little girls really did that. We haven’t celebrated very good. All the things she asked for require her to try them on and pick them out. The difficulties of older children.

The next week was fall break. I didn’t feel like I could leave town but Glen, Lucy, Daryl and Ruth headed south. They went to Cedar Breaks in the snow. Then farther south to Hoover Dam. They thought about the Evans family but weren’t able to connect with them and thought they would have been much of a surprise. :( The dam trip was a success and there was no lack of dam jokes. 

Last picture as a 15 year old 
Jed’s family came down to visit. Mark had a nice long mullet mohawk thing going so Lucy tested her braiding skills on his hair.

Driving to or from Nevada
The Wimmer’s let us use football tickets they couldn’t use.Lucy and I had a fun time. It was a full circle moment for Lucy because she traveled to see BYU play East Carolina at home with Lilly, Glen and Grandpa Larry. We wish the outcome was different on both games. 
I don’t know what got in to Evelyn but she let Marian paint her fingernails green. I think it is the first time in my life I have seen her with any color of nail polish on her fingers.
Hiking in St. George before coming home. 
Tipper, Grandma and Grandpa Egbert’s dog who is wonderful but has bone cancer in his from leg. We aren’t sure how long he will be around so we live on him and take pictures with him as much as possible. 
Glen at Cedar Breaks. We have a knack for going there when there is snow. 
Mission accomplished. They made it to Hoover Dam.
The kids at Cedar Breaks gorging their own path. 
Daryl’s Halloween costume that won funniest costume at our ward trunk or treat/ Chilli cook off. 
More exploring of the dam
Loving Tipper.
Evelyn’s classic cover her face for a picture move but also showing off her green nails. 
The Lucy and I went to the BYU football game, we got to see Lilly for a few minutes when we met up with her and her roommates at Thanksgiving Point to give her some stuff from home she needed for Halloween.


Comments

kirsta said…
Oh shoot! I ended up seeing Glen's email too late and I don't even know if we were home. How fun to have them down in our area though! I love Evelyn's nails. The green is quite festive. So sorry the game didn't end how Lucy wanted it to for her birthday, but I think you did the right thing telling her teammates it was her special day :)

Popular posts from this blog

California here we come

July 15-19  Early Monday morning we went to the Provo airport to head to John Wayne airport then down to San Diego to celebrate Larry and Janene's 50th wedding anniversary. We met up with everyone but Josh and his girlfriend, Amberlee in Provo. They left earlier and drove so they could visit her family as well. My dad is a bit John Wayne fan so we had to take a picture with The Duke at his airport for him.  Once we had our luggage, rental van and food in our bellies we had to get sand between our toes and salt water at least on our feet. We ate at a fun little place in San Clemente called Cafe Rae. It was really little. Our group of nine took up about half their seats. It was really good food and they had great hospitality.  Our next stop was the USS Midway in San Diego. Larry had talked about visiting this and the Saint Mary for a long time. It was one of the main reasons we went to San Diego. It was nice to make it happen. I am not really in to military stuff but it was...

My cup with blessings overflows

 I am trying to get back in the habit of blogging. Before I go to bed, even though I should be in bed here are blessings from this week. I don’t know it I will remember them all there were so many.  Being home to attend church with our ward.  Talks from two sister in our ward, Louisa Jones who is a brand new young woman and Holly Draney who is the Primary President, on Sister Kristin Yee’s conference talk, that complimented each other well.  They reminded me that God is in the details and even when mistakes are made he can use it to help us learn and bless us. Louisa talked about how she was mad when her parents decided they should move a few years ago but Heavely Father has made it work out. Holly brought up the definitions of the words possibility and joy. She also talked about repairing quilts that had things happen to them. Also a talk from Matt Reeves about the power of the priesthood and how it has blessed his life and has preserved his life.  A great less...

Head to the hills- July 7-14

Good things from this week were- Getting dirt to fill the planter box Daryl made for Grandpa Richins. It’s ready for him to use now!  Getting ready for girls camp. Watching Lucy play volleyball in a tournament at UVU with high school team girls. It’s crazy that is her last one as a high school player.  Eating dinner on the roof and watching the sunset. Girls camp, even the one bad part.  Showering after girls camp Sunday dinner at Larry and Janene's and playing with the whip These cool plants were at the nursery we got soil from. I think I might want some in my yard.  Lucy played in a volleyball tournament at UVU with the high school team.  Lucy thought eating on the roof would be a good idea one night so we could watch the sunset better. She was right. Though Ruth but mostly Beth got pretty comfortable exploring up there. My mom safety barometer went quite high till they got down.  The Oquirrh Mountain temple fit right between the trees for a perfect view....